Friday, September 4, 2009

XTERRA Nationals - Ogden Utah - Snowbasin


I'm in.

Got this email the other day confirming that I qualified to go to XTERRA nationals. This has been a goal this year...
Had actually been thinking about it now for 2 years, but didn't want to commit to the travel required to get the points.
I did four of the races this year starting with Eureka Springs, Arkansas race with 2nd place age group finish. Then went to the Buffalo Creek race near Bailey Colorado and had a bad race freaking out in the water because it was cold (I've heard it was 59 degrees). I finished the 1 mile swim way back and subsequently finished way back in my age group. Thought my run for Nationals was over and I hadn't planned on doing anymore races other than the B.O.L.T race here at Branched Oak.
But things worked out - we went on family vacation out in Winter Park Colorado and wouldn't you know it, there was a race at Eldora Ski area, outside of Nederland Colorado that I could hit on the way back to Lincoln. It had a shorter 1000 meter swim and I was able to deal a little bit better with the cold swim (roughly 60 degrees again) - finishing 3rd in the age group in the end. I think having that cold water experience at the Buffalo Creek race helped a little and I was able to deal with the cold temp of the water a little bit better.
It came down to the B.O.L.T. race here at Branched Oak to seal the deal with a 6th place overall finish and 1st age group moving me into 5th in the point standings for my age group. Top 6 in the age group get the qualification notice.
Should be fun...just hoping the water isn't too cold.

1 comment:

t-nuts said...

pretty cool man!

so do well in UT & you're headin' for Maui?

that wouldn't suck.

TK