
Thursday after doing the Average Joe Time Trail inaugural TT, Lee Bumgarner asked if I was racing this weekend.
Before getting to far in this I offer that the Average Joe TT takes place every Tuesday @ 6:00 pm at Joy Ride bike shop. These will be great fitness boosters so come out. I think Mr Woods has another 20K TT planned for this week. This is a no cost low key event - just a bunch of folks practicing their TT skills. I will probably alternate between the Bridges Crit practice and the TT series.
Anyway, I really hadn't thought much about racing. I've just suffered on the group rides I've done lately and been pegged on the rivet a lot. After thinking about it and realizing that that the 1-2-3's were racing together...including the masters I decided to do it figuring the field would be a nice decent size. I like this format and really for Nebraska racing it makes sense...We just don't have the field sizes to justify separate races...and if they can do a deeper payout it allows the cat 3's to have a chance to get in the picture - everyone should be happy.
It ended up a weird race tactically because eventual winner Mr Limpach and Jay Thomas rolled away from the gun leaving the two biggest teams the chance to ride conservatively. Then Unfortunately, Jay flatted with Two laps to go and Kevin went on to pull off a good solo win. Pretty impressive really. Especially since our Trek team pulled him back to 30sec and didn't finish it off. Whoops. Because the field missed it's opportunity to pull Kevin back, it came down to a field sprint for 2nd and Mr. Lucas Marshall pulled it off. Kid had a great weekend winning the Criterium yesterday so I guess that makes him the best all around rider for the weekend. I ended up 13th in the field sprint. Glad to finish the first race, the quads were getting twitchy on the last lap. A bit disappointed I didn't finish as aggressively as I should have. Shoulda Woulda Coulda. Congrats to UNL cycling team for pulling off a near perfect spring race. Love seeing a 50+er getting 3rd in the field sprint - Congrats John Vondracek. I think that confirms that age is a minimal variant in road racing.
I woke up fried on Sunday and hadn't really planning on doing the Criterium, the weather was so nice, I put in the long ride instead. Love the Filley loop. A little crispy from so much sun and riding but it feels good to be on the bike again.
I wonder what Brady Murphy is doing?

3 comments:
I like that Philly loop as well. Let me know next time you're rolling that.
Ha! Recovering from post race jitters, that's what I've been doing.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on UNL cyling races. Good racing with you Saturday.
Thanks Coach, It's always good racing with you. When you're in the race it's a comfortable familiar feeling, like having your favorite pair of sneakers on, or family around. I can always count on your steady wheel. When it's go time and you go I know, I either go or I'm gone.
Post a Comment