Sunday, January 23, 2011

Snow Mobiles too?






Busy busy busy...Yep

Got up early and drove Abigail to her swim meet at Millard West high school Saturday morning...the MAC meet. I watched Abs do her 200 Free and I made my leave and took the opportunity to do the No Frills running race in LaPlatte Ne since I was in Omaha. It was 5 miler out and back course with a slight wind in our face on the way back. 56 people braved the sub 20 degree temp. The fun thing about this race series is the promoter does age graded results. I ended up 6th overall and 3rd after the age grading. Also from Lincoln doing the race was Jorge Zuniga, Ben Cohoon and Dylan Wilson. Jorge would take 2nd and Ben 5th and Dilley was 14th making a racing come back after suffering an injury last season. Not sure how many of the races I'll get to in the series, but definitely woke the legs up. Looks like Jeff Marshall has the series rapped up anyway if he keeps going like he is. He's a 49 year old that goes pretty fast getting 4th overall.


I scampered back Millard and was back in time to watch Abbi's 50 Free and attempted 400IM. She DNF'd the 400 because her goggles came off at the start and she does not like to swim without her goggles. Who can blame her...I wouldn't want to either. She's not happy I'm blogging about this, but it's a fact of swim racing that few think about and can make or break a race.

Saturday night forecasters were predicting a good snow and it delivered. Not probably the max 8 inches the upper end of the prediction but still we got a good 4+ inches. Unfortunately for Jen she got the Swim meet duty for Sunday and we watched weather and looked for cancellations all evening. Finally we found that the meet go no go call would be made @ 5:30 am and posted on the MAC team website. As it was, the meet went on as scheduled and Jen and Abbi made the drive to Millard in the early AM. The interstate right lane was drivable in slow condition so without too much heart burn they pulled it off. Noah and I got a little extra sleep and cleaned snow and made trip to Scheels to get Noah a set of XC ski boots. I've got extra skis, but didn't have boot his size.


Once we got squared away we met Doug Lee out at the Jamaica Trail head off of Saltillo road. Doug had already begun to blaze new trail as Noah and I got out of the Van and got our skis on ready to roll. I look up and coming down the path from the South were two bozo's on Snow Mobiles on the Jamaica. I stopped them and read them the riot act. They knew better. I threatened to call the police and snapped their picture. They made a bee line down Saltillo yelling expletives. I don't care. They were ready to rip down the trail . Man no respect. I'd be surprised if they didn't hit some the trail further North.










We got a good 2 hr ski in... On our loop we started running out of time... Doug needed to get back for his daughters Basketball clinic and truth be told Noah was trashed. Probably only his 3rd time on XC skis...We needed to get on the other side of Salt Creek so we took the Creek back up stream. I've probably only done this few times in the 25 years I've been skiing, but it is pretty cool to do when things totally freeze up. Unfortunately the water did come up eventually and we had to bail...but it worked about about perfect because when we climbed up the bank we were probably only 2 miles max from the cars.


Pretty good weekend. It'll be busy for sure this week. Noah has three swim meets. Too bad it looks like we'll be in the 30s all week it could ruin the snow back...but if it ices up a bit during the day the ski tracks could be fast with all this snow pack.


















4 comments:

jim craig said...

Rose and I saw those guys go by the fitness loop when we were setting up for the run yesterday. Rose chased them but they headed down the levee.

MG said...

Good work Coach...

sda said...

Friggin' slednecks. I cringe when I hear them in the backcountry. No. 1 user group to get caught up in avalanches.

sda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.