Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Crud Bike - Otherwise known as Townie

This guy saves me a bunch of time running around downtown. Leave it at work parked indoors so it's there regardless of whether I drive to work or ride. Don't feel bad when I have to ride in the slushy snow, or the rain...it does the job it's intended to do.

The old Schwinn Cruiser has a special spot in my heart. The design is just unique enough to survive time. The only downfall is they weren't designed for tall people. In high school I had a sweet Black American with a two speed kick back hub I rode into the ground. Then Converted it to a 5 speed with Alu wheels with some nice Kos bars and a Tange fork. Had a sweet fluted alu seat post that Rich Rodenburg found somewhere. Haven't been able to find one since. Could wheelie that sucker for blocks. That was 1982. I let my brother have it to ride and never saw it again. Bummer.

I saw a sweet conversion on Folks From Lincoln that got me thinking about tricking an old Schwinn frame out again.

Was thinking we should have a real "Cruiser" class at a road or MTB event where criteria would be the bike has to weigh 40lbs and be a single speed with coaster brakes.

Anyone else have a favorite "Townie"


No comments: