
I came home this weekend in a state of euphoria. Three races, two days, in town, at a well orchestrated event. NICE.
-Above- Chet on course. Chet and his parents were there to help out all weekend.
It's been a while since I done any bike racing - State RR. I'd forgotten how fun it is - Cross even, not my favorite, but still racing...Mano e Mano. Painful in a different way than running... More about Power - with accelerations that sap you strength...especially in the soft grass / dirt Pioneers Park served up this weekend. At least soft today with the frost coming out...The geese were standing on the ponds this morning, so you know it got cold and frosty last night and as the ground warmed and thawed it got a little soft and gooey in a few places. Good power builder and challenge.
The course was really good. Fast...seemed to flow well, had some cool topography challenges, and Hooligan hill finally came alive during the last race for the 1-2-3 race. You could hear them cheering and raging and ringing the bells from the other side of the 1.5 mi course. The Midwest Wheelmaster crew did a good job of putting together a great course, still one of the best we race on in the region for sure. A real mixture of terrain with an actual long road section that lends itself to an advantage for a Crossbike - even though I rode the Fisher 29er with suspension post and cross wheels (I'm old give me a break -Thanks to PC for the wheels).
The camaraderie that goes along with a TEAM event can make or break the vibe. It seemed to me that everyone pitched in and made this race a success. But the man that must be given a huge amount of credit is Troy K. He pick up the ball and ran - together with team help put together a great time. FYI, TK has volunteered to help out running the team this year since Lefler has been busy with some new Family members. I imagine lots of smelly diapers at his house with a new set of twins. Gosh darn Lefler sounds good on the mic though, he's got it down. So two thumbs up to the team and really smooth event. Good to see the out of towners too. TP ( bum shoulder from a race last weekend), Kelly I, Jeremy, RLegg, Munson...Really everyone...Good racing guys.
OK...so I barely know how anyone did at this point kind of a blur. I was off in my world as action was happening in front....So I'll only comment on my world. Saturday, baptism by fire. (which by the way Father Tucker was there yesterday and today. A little late today...Wonder why?) Yep, found out real quick I got no fire in the belly and settled in to eeeck out 10th place. Sorry Cornbread. Big and Tall - yep! He's that and if you get him on the gravel rolling hills he'll grind you into the ground. Luckily yesterday, he'd already been out deer hunting at o dark thirty, so that had to burn him a little and I managed to nick his achilles and beat him to the line. Was painful though, ended up 10th just in the picture.
Noah also raced yesterday. Had some tough competition from a couple Jrs. from Kansas or MO? Not sure, need to do some homework to see how old the kids are. The kid that won was a bit more mature and looks to be on the path of becoming fast. That and I'd say he looks like swimmer based on his hair. Could be wrong. Anyway Noah ended up 2nd yesterday...There were three kids duking it out. Would love to see more, so special kudos the parents or older adults shuttling the kids around to get to Lincoln to race.
Today. Woke up with my back still tweaked. Yes, as we were setting up the barriers yesterday morning, I jokingly said, "hey, I'll check the spacing by running through the barriers." Took off running them and when I landed on the other side of the first barrier, I felt it go. Yep the twice a year back tweak. Probably more than that this year. So frustrating. I mean come on..I do all kinds of torso strengthening...this shouldn't be a problem. I digress. Anyway, two naproxen and 3 ibuprofen later I was ready to race the Masters race. It was fun being in the picture. The Spike guy Scott..I need to check your name, and fix this later....pulled the good move and attacked on the climb in the grass after the road and the little hairpin through the whoop section...Later in the 1-2-3 race when I was with him again...I would be cramping in the same climbing section. Spark guy raced 3 times, Crazy...I think he's one of those guys that goes to the casino and goes home with nothing. Keep playing your winnings...he was there to have fun and bury himself. Anyway A couple laps later, I tried to go across. Marc W. was on my wheel...and he made me pay for it later on the grass flats - Red line...Yep that was it. Marc got across to Scott and I couldn't get there. Bummer. I ended in Third, Marc in a nice move at the line got Scott for first and the NE championship gold, and me with Silver.

Noah and Abigail both raced today in the Jr race. Noah's older competition didn't show today, but I'll be darned if Noah didn't look like he had another gear. Nice job.

Abigail, wasn't so sure. There were some things on the course that just plain spooked her. Understandable and that's ok. There is a learning curve where you need to learn to be comfortable on the bike and have confidence in your riding skills. It takes time and can be a deterrent for even adults. Practice. Practice. Practice.
Last and second race of the day for me was a race of attrition. Made it a game to see if I could sneak into top ten picture. Just made it again 10th place. Big and tall was there again and as I stated earlier so was Spike guy Scott and new cat 3 Paul Webb. Paul snuck away with a few laps to go and once again, I couldn't get there. Nice move bud. I pulled a fast one on Scott on the last lap as we were getting caught by Stolte and the young buck Chris Wallace (think that's his name)...as they were lapping me and went on to get First and Second. ( Sorry Scott). TK did great both days. Need to find out how he did today - Yesterday he was 6th. Pretty darn good considering how much work and worrying he did prior to the race. Again Nice Job. The bird man Schlake would pull out NE gold again this year holding on to third overall. Nice job. He's like a bird and just floats away. Chet, and Ryan both raced well, doing multiple races per day.
Anyway nice job all...Euphoria is gone and nothing but a slow buzz that says time to call it tonight.
More cross later. Need to get a few more races in before nationals. If only the weather will cooperate to be like today and be 50 degrees...

No comments:
Post a Comment