Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Me and my Shadow

Another Marathon in the books. Almost didn't happen, crashes and injury to my left IT band in January and February almost left to me to short to get the miles in to attempt the run. Thanks to Matt @ Proformance for the therapy for getting me going again.
Marathons are so hard...for those non-runners they remind me of a long distance MTB enduro...Like Laramie, your whole body is beat. Except the next day after doing Long ride, you can still ride the next day. So far in my limited experience of Marathons, I can barely walk the next day...Stairs are really tough...getting out of bed at night to make a toilet run is excruciating. Of course all this may be due to my limited training time I put in - in comparison to some of these guys who can pound out the miles every week...doing up to 100 miles in a week. My buddy Dylan W. for instance, who got 7th was out there putting in big miles...That's what it takes to be on top. I wish I could do that - Think it would cripple me, I'll keep trying.

Don't think I'm bummed on the whole deal. These are a true test for the slow twitch of us out there and are long enough that they can be emotional roller coasters. Up and down, plenty of time for elation and agony - reflection and sensation.

Thanks to all those out on the course so many people cheering I loved it. Thanks to Kathryn Kelley for the pics.
Good Job Ryan R. who was so smooth when he went by me @ mile 11ish when I was starting to sputter. He makes it look soooo easy, all those years of running and experience in marathons...Heck the guy did Boston 2 weeks ago and then PR's at Lincoln. Way to go. Ken - had a rough day and pulled the plug before his knee gave out...Good call buddy -

Then there was this guy, Brett...He jumps in with me down by Lincoln high and became my alter ego, "I want to quit..."
"No" he says,
" Your OK, keep going"




And so it was...




2 comments:

jim craig said...

Nice job Kevin. After all those years of marathons I really like the dirt.
Great accomplishment!

Cornbread said...

Congrats Kev! Man, you are one tough dude.