I can't help but fall into bike racin mode on a windy course. It's pretty funny that I'm looking for a pack to hide in at the start of a running race during the first mile, especially when it's windy, but even psychologically I'm looking to get sucked along . The pack I'm looking for is partly calculated based on how I feel and what pace goals I have, but the State Farm run this year I was really up in the air what I could do. Last year I was sick and really put the brakes on and set a low tempo, this year training has been going better, but I still wasn't sure how I'd feel. Ryan R. (BTW Ryan R., Ken Lackey and Ben Cohoon are all doing Brew to Brew 45 mile run this weeekend...good luck guys.) and I started out behind our other Y running buds and as the race strung out during that first mile we were funneled up to the ndorfunz guys...it was perfect they were cruzin @ a 6:20ish pace. In the pack was Gary Wasserman.
I don't know Gary from Adam, but have heard that he was Division III Cross country Champion in 1992?, he may have some other laurels that I am unaware of something about a 10k record? I would like to know.
Point being, the guy is a race horse, I've seen him at a couple races this last year including Market to Market where his masters team was up against our Masters team duking it out. Apparently Mr. Wasserman is making a come back of sorts, and wouldn't you know it, he's in my age group.
So I'm thinking perfect, I'll get behind this group with this tall guy Gary and the rest of the ndorfunz horses and try to get a draft into the East head wind heading up Mo-Pac. Along the way to the turn around at mile 5 we picked up Brian Kelly, Austin McKillip, and Darin Schlake of our running group. Was pretty sweet being the pack, was comfortable and legs were feeling pretty good. Jason Babcock was also in our group, but I didn't recognise him until on the way back at mile 7-8.
Anyway at the turnaround the plan unfolded, and the horsemen put their heads down and started racing for the barn. I was torn...come off this really comfortable pace and try to hang with those guys or stay the quo? At the turn around I saw that Darin and Brian had come off, and Ryan was with me. In front just dangling about 50 - 75yds up was Ben Cohoon. 50 - 75 yds is a long way when you are on the rivet. (Cycling Term).
My cycling mentality said jump and stay on the group. I accelerated and went through that mile 6 in 6:04 trying to close the gap that had opened...didn't get there, OK - really put me on the Rivet and I started to sputter. Was too much and pulled back on the reins. Wasserman was behind me and went by, I tried to keep pace but was mentally torched. I dropped to 6:22 pace that next mile and regrouped choked on a GU and a sip of water and put my head down to finish facing the course battle of false flat uphill back to the State Farm offices.
About 1/2 mile later Jason B. comes up along side...I do a double take...where did you come from? Funny in my head I was waiting for him, two years ago he did the same thing and dropped me like a rock after crossing A street. This time I dug...and endured his accelerations eventually we pulled back another runner, I'll have to look up his name later, but every time that Jason would try to get by, the runner would dig and match the pace. We were in a three way battle which was good because it carried us through the finish and we didn't relinquish much to the clock - slowly accelerating all the way to the finish.
In the end I would get by Jason and our other fellow antagonist and slot in 24th overall in the 10 mile race @ 1.02.56 - new pr on the course for me, but 2nd in the age group to Wasserman.
Abigail, my daughter also ran in the State Farm races. She ran the 5K and finished 3rd woman, just a second out of 2nd place. She was stoked and bummed at the same time as the 5k only does awards 2 deep for the overall. Next time Abbi, Next time...
Is it riding time yet...got out a few times the last few weeks in the eve. Looks like Spring hits the weekend. Noah has a track meet at LHS for the Bob Devany on Thursday where I will be putting my timing skillz to work..>Go NOAH! 

1 comment:
how old is this jason babcock - i wonder if he ran track with me at LEHS back in the day ...
Post a Comment