Father's day was wide open, the kids had a swim meet in Omaha this weekend, I pulled Saturday duty getting them there and the Jen took them up Sunday morning. This left me with a nice void to get a good long ride. My loose plan was to head into the SE wind and try to get out as far as possible before it started kicking up. Best case scenario I make it to Nebraska City and over into Iowa to check out the Flood conditions. I knew HWY 2 was closed there across the river and down in the flood plain along I-29, but in the back of my mind I figured I'm on a bike and bikes can go places cars can't. Right?
The beauty of Hwy 2 is there are stretches were you can ride old Hwy 2 that are still in place after they improved Hwy 2 to 4 lanes. There are basically stretches - maybe 20 miles worth of road that are basically abandoned and a so nice to ride.
Abandoned Hwy 2 between Unadilla and Syracuse. NO Cars.

Downtown Unadilla revitalized but dead.

Dunbar Hwy 2 V1. Old Hwy 2 through town.

The Might Mo is full and spilling out the banks.

Water across the road Hwy 2. Witness Mother Nature taking control. Lots of wildlife down here...saw some blue Herons and also tons of small minnows in the water. It was almost like Nature was saying this is the way it's supposed to be... It was so quiet down here.

All the businesses down along Hwy 2 and I=29 were sandbagged and closed. The gas stations had pulled all the pumps. Sign says gone fishing...ha.

I thought twice before attempting, but then went anyway across this stretch, this is the only place that there was water across the road and was maybe 2 inches deep. Turned out to be a great call, I rode over into Iowa and stretched out the ride a bit more.

The climb going into Loess hills - Waubonsie Park in Iowa. Waubonsie Park road below. This is a sweet park.

Came back via the same route for a good hundy + ride. JT met me on the way back at Palmyra for the rest of the ride back.
Sure enough I had a great ride...Yep one of those that will stick with me for a long time...forever? Ya probably.
1 comment:
Nice one! Definitely hundee + if you were up in the IA hills. Sweet ride.
Post a Comment