
This might be the first year of the Cornhusker State Games Circuit race at Pioneers Park. For longest time after I got this picture from Mary Anderson, I thought this was the first year I won, the second or third year...But today the picture fell off the Fridge as the North wind blew in the patio door when it opened. I looked a little closer, and upon inspection I saw there was a rider behind me that is obscured from view. Those legs and that Basso bike must belong to Gary Mulder. Gary used to take us out and tear us up on training rides. He was the dominate rider here for a few years in the early 80's, made it to the big leagues after winning the Olympic qualifier in DesMoines, and then getting 2nd or 3rd (can't remember) at the Nationals Road race in Milwaukee. After a stint with Turin out of Chicago, he then a moved to Subaru Montgomery where a young Lance Armstrong got his start in the Pro ranks. We rode hard everyday. When your young like that you can do it. Now...different story.
So, Gary had been out racing the big races with Turin this year and made it back to do the inaugural State Games race. It wasn't too long after this he dropped us like a rock. Also featured in the pic from Left to Right, Doug Lee, Me (with Gary behind me), in yellow is Jeff Boswell, Next in the Blue is Ray Frey, Next Is Mark Anderson in the team Jersey ( this was the Nebraska Racing Team kit, CycleWorks sponsor), I think Steve Canney is right behind Mark to the left.
This was the finishing order after Gary; Me, Mark, Steve Melotz> Look how big the crowd is...


3 comments:
So did you guys run the loop counter-clockwise? If I'm seeing it right in the picture you're coming from the east on the "right" side of the road & the finish is more or less where we finish now?
Counter-clockwise would make for an interesting tight left-hander at the bottom of the hill.
Great picture & story, keep 'um coming!
TK
You got it...Counter Clockwise. Finish same place. It probably did a add a bit more technical challenge with that Left turn at the bottom of the hill. Lots of sweeping of that turn.
Rich Rodenburg ran the race there for a few years for state games.
Notice how smooth the road was
25ish years ago.
I'm not sure but I might be in that picture as well. On the right of the picture behind what might be Jim Fobben could be me. That was my first year of USCF racing while I was still living in Omaha. I still have that jersey, funny, I've never seen one of those pepto-bismo pink Treks around since then. I have pic's of the State TT on Denton Road that year. Typical pictures with one goof (Canney) with his TT helmet on backwards. Ah, the memories......
Post a Comment