
Pre hard shell era and clipless pedals, first generation aero levers...Which I didn't have yet. Those were some sweet wheels though..Roval Tubulars...way ahead of their time.
I remember events tied to when USCF changed the hard shell helmet rule and also remember that year everyone was wearing Monarch helmets, but they weren't Snell or ANSI or whatever approved. That year at SuperWeek we stood out in the 90 degree heat for like an hour or more on the start line of Tour of Holy hill while the officials decided if everyone could race with the Monarch helmet. They finally let us race, what choice did they have?...90% of the field had one and nothing else. They were a little more compact than the big Bell helmet buckets. That would have been a good time to get into the helmet business...
This picture was one of the races around the Capitol back in the day. Pretty sure it was 1985 because the year before in 1984 it was part of a stage race...I have a picture of that too I'll post someday. The guy in front of me is Ebby Norman (think that is his last name), I think at the time he was from Kansas? Pretty sure he has a Bike shop in Sedalia Mo. He might have won...I know I didn't.
Bet you wouldn't see traffic that close to the race anymore...I remember flying around that corner before and cutting around a few cones on the traffic side. Finish line is just a head of us...Maybe a prime lap?
Wish I still had that Frame..Kris at Cycleworks set us up on those...Pretty in Pink

2 comments:
Schlake still has one of those frame sets.
Got it from Jeff, I think.
Wonder were the rest of them went? Seems like we had 6 total? Did Mod get one? I'm sure the rest were probably sold to Lincoln folks. Wonder if there are some sitting in garages here in town?
Post a Comment