
At times my love for X - Country Skiing can be extremely frustrating here in Nebraska. I started X - Country skiing in 1983. The Nebraska racing team was sponsored a couple of years by Lawlors Sporting good stores. Along with the sponsorship we got a discount and the ability to credit some equipment at the store. Also back then it seemed to snow more often and stick around for longer periods of time. David Cech and I decided to do something about the cold and snow in our funk of not getting out to ride so we bought skis. Doug Lee already had a set being a X Minnesota kid.
Without any teaching what so ever we began the process of learning. Doug would take us out, it was baptism by fire. His big long stride would work us over. I liken it to trying to run with a 6 ft -2 x 4 strapped to your foot. At first, you ask yourself what's the point? I can run faster than this... But, after time, when the track sets up just right, and you get a little more coordinated with the clunky boots and skinny skis, you begin to slowly figure out it. And what a great workout.
Every once in a while it clicks...The glide. I'll never forget the first time it clicked. It was an evening ski in Wilderness. The track had iced over, and was groomed. (yes once upon a time ago, they groomed the trails out there.) The skis took off, it was enlightening. I was coasting without any effort. It's all in the glide. The adhesion of the ski as you kick off the snow and pulling on the poles at the same time allows you to coast on one foot for a bit of time creating a fluid graceful like skate feel. When you get it...its like connecting with the golf ball on the perfect hit, that basket going in with nothing but net, the Time Trialer spinning the big gear and not looking like it takes any effort, like a swimmer coasting along effortlessly in the pool, a ballet dancer balancing effortlessly on toes. That ability to flow on a surface using technique that only a natural or time tested practice reveals...you've seen it, or felt it.
Epiphany.
That's what I went in search of today down in my favorite place to ski - Wilderness. It was a long shot. I figured there wasn't quite enough snow, then we had the freezing rain/drizzle. Oh for the love of want...A well groomed ski area. I've read of how Minneapolis and even Sioux Falls has groomed trails in area parks in the city...even golf courses sometimes...even with lights for night skiing. Oh for want...Paul and I and Tom P. (back in his day here in Lincoln)...have spent many a day getting a track laid in @ Wilderness, only to get it trampled by hikers, or snow shoers...the errant father pulling his kid down the track on a sled...or even the cyclist...taking the path of least resistance down our track. We even now have 4 wheelers making their home in Wilderness during the night hours. Whoas me...trail etiquette. A good track is what helps make the skiing session work folks. A good track is like water skiing on smooth lake as opposed to rough choppy windy lake. It allows the ski to hook up, glide and follow the track much better.
Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised when I hit the trails, and even happier when I made my way over to the Jamaica trail. It wasn't perfect, but pretty darn good.


No comments:
Post a Comment