Thursday, March 5, 2009

Sweet Spot - Ah ya

Finally the weather is cooperating to get a few miles in on the road bike. I can't believe how good it feels to be on a machine that fits and is comfy...Old home. David Cech is the first person that I remember saying this as we were talking about finding that position on the bike that marries comfort + position = Horsepower...call it Watts if you want to...But it's the "Sweet Spot."

Sometimes it can be frustrating to find, just doesn't feel right no matter what you do, you adjust a Millimeter here, Up, Down, Out and finally things fall into place and find a position you can sit in and pedal hard all day. It's a beautiful thing. Once you find it...it sticks with you over the years with minimal tweaking.

As I was thinking about this the other day, I met up with Aaron Pool as he was coming in from a 3hr tempo ride. He was keeping it steady watching his heart rate, spinning the downhills and just keeping tempo up the hills. I quickly found my legs not ready, and found the other "sweet spot" sitting in his draft. Good to know how to protect yourself from the wind.

I'll bet with all the miles AP is doing he really is in tune with his "Sweet Spot" on the bike.




No comments: